Thursday, July 28, 2005

Secret Santa Swap

Last December, the conducting department got together and had a Yankee swap. Through a combination of no mercy and luck, I ended up with exactly the gift I wanted - a $10 gift certificate to The Princeton Record Exchange and the company of Prof. DM on a trip to this store where he would recommend all the good recordings.

Well, I finally got my X-mas present today! DM and I met up this afternoon, and spent an hour wading through the used classical bin. The Princeton Record Exchange is the cheapest spot for used CD's I have ever found, but nevertheless, it was a tough job keeping my spending in the double digits.

It is doubtless a sinister sign of a covetous attitude, but I always want to list what I picked up on my blog. For me, it's a way of re-appreciating what I got, and for anyone else, a clouded and confusing glance into my musical interests.

Acquired:


  • Purcell's Dido and Aeneas, perf. by Les Arts Florissant, cond. by William Christie
  • Dvořák's Stabat Mater, perf. by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, cond. by Robert Shaw
  • A 2-CD set of Vaughan Williams, including A Sea Symphony, perf. by the BBC Orchestra, cond. by Sir Andrew Davis
  • Voices of Life, various songs by the Bulgarian Women's Choir
  • Sigismondo D'India's Il primo libro de madrigali a cinque voci, perf. by The Consort of Musicke, dir. by Anthony Rooley
  • Martin's Mass and Pizzetti's Requiem, perf. by the Westminster Cathedral Choir, cond. by James O'Donnell
  • Various pieces by William Mundy, perf. by The Sixteen, cond. by Harry Christophers
  • Górecki's Symphony No. 3, perf. by Dawn Upshaw and the London Sinfonietta, cond. by David Zinman
  • Zelenka's The Lamentations of Jeremiah, perf. by The Chandos Baroque Players
  • Cozzolani's Messa Paschale, perf. by Magnificat, cond. by Warren Stewart
  • Renée Fleming's relatively new Handel CD, with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, cond. by Harry Bicket
  • Various pieces by Elisabeth-Claude Jacquet de La Guerre, perf. by Cecilia's Circle
  • Scarlatti's Stabat Mater, perf. by the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists, and cond. by John Eliot Gardiner
  • Mozart's Mass in C Minor, perf. by the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists with Sylvia McNair, Diana Montague, Anthony Rolfe Johnson, and Cornelius Hauptmann, and cond. by John Eliot Gardiner
  • Charpentier's Miserere and various motets, perf. by Choeurs et Orchestre de La Chapelle Royale, cond. by Philippe Herreweghe


Well, don't look at me like that, people. You should have seen the stack I didn't buy. And I have orals coming up this year. That means I need to have a thorough knowledge of the choral repertoire. It's my job to educate myself like this!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:52 PM

    Anthony Rolfe Johnson! He's my second favorite tenor! (and objectively speaking, he's probably better than my first-favorite tenor, but my libido has a vote too, so...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *grin* And who's your first favorite tenor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:29 AM

    Oh, I love that Gorecki. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:36 AM

    I absolutely love the Martin mass- I have that same CD too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Rachel:

    I'm glad I got it, then! I almost didn't, but DM told me it was beautiful and I should reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Jess:

    What do you think of the Pizzetti?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:47 PM

    >And who's your first favorite tenor?

    Wieslaw Ochman. The Narraboth on that Salome laserdisk I showed you, remember?

    ReplyDelete