Friday, January 14, 2011

Weekend Concert Calendar, 1/14/11

I know I missed last week's concert calendar (and last week's Friday cat post, and the last Monday link, etc.) And this is going up late! What can I say? Improving my blogging was not a New Year's resolution.

But here we go. What's going on this week?

Friday: I'm heading to the Cantata Singers concert tonight! It is embarrassing to admit that I have never been to a Cantata Singers concert before when they are one of the best choral groups in the city; I have no defense, yer honor. But they are doing part songs by Finzi, Holst, Elgar, and Vaughan Williams, and part songs are some of my favorite things ever. And they are also performing Vaughan Williams' Riders to the Sea, a one-act semi-staged musical drama. (This is part of their year-long celebration of Vaughan Williams.) How cool is that? That will get me out to NEC's Jordan Hall at 8 pm tonight!

Also on Friday: Lexington Pops Chorus.

Saturday:The Harlem Gospel Choir is here to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday! Go see their Joyful Noise Gospel Concert on Saturday night at Sander's Theatre at 7:30 pm (note the slightly earlier start time.)

Also on Saturday: Lexington Pops Chorus.

Sunday: Convivium Musicum has a very interesting concert lined up for you: Josquin's Playlist. What did Josquin listen to as he was composing all that beloved choral music? Also featuring some of Josquin's own work, this is a very clever look into the music of Josquin's time. At 4 pm at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Brookline (a beautiful space.)

And on Monday, the Boston Children's Chorus is doing a couple of concerts in honor of MLK Day, one at 2 pm and one at 6:45 pm. Check them out at NEC's Jordan Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment