Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday links

Well, Monday was a little nutty. How about some Tuesday links?

First of all, I LOVE the MacArthur grants. I love reading about who gets them, and dreaming about earning one some day. (I'm still working on the reason I would earn one.) The 2011 list of fellows was released recently, and there's a choral conductor on the list!

An interesting article in Slate on the challenges of preserving an artist's work, physically speaking.

Choralnet alerts me that some Brits are having the vapors over a woman being admitted to the Lincoln Cathedral Choir. I don't think there's anything wrong with having an all-boys choir; it's a lovely sound. So are mixed choirs. I just think that citing as your reasons for protest that having a woman sing alto would be a BETRAYAL of the composers' intentions strikes me as a bit histrionic.

Choralnet also tells me (they have all the good British gossip this week!) that one of the Westminster Cathedral organists was dismissed after dissing Rutter's piece for the recent royal wedding. Whatever you think about Rutter, blasting a commission for your organization on your Facebook account - with "colourful language," no less - doesn't strike me as particularly smart.

Finally, I came across this video of Kathleen Battle and Jessye Norman. It is AWESOME. You can find most of the concert in bits and pieces on Youtube if you search for "Jessye Norman Kathleen Battle 1990" or variations thereof. And the VHS of the concert is on Amazon.

Jessye Norman & Kathleen Battle - Scandalize My Name from this wayin on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment